About Me

My photo
I am studying Psychology and Sociology at Utah Valley University, and working at a treatment center for troubled teens. I love life, being with people from all cultures, speaking Spanish, and traveling all over the world. I will never stop laughing, dancing, singing, enjoying, appreciating, and just being.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Learning to Love



The yellow church is actually the hospital in Antigua that my sister and I work at. I fell in love with a little boy named Roberto who lives there that is special needs. He is about eight years old and he was born completely deformed and his limbs are very twisted so he is not able to stand or walk. At first I did not think he knew what was going on or who I was but every time I would pass his bed and say his name he would get a huge smile on his face. Another boy that was two beds down from him was throwing pillows at him which I thought would make him mad but only made him full of laughter. I definitely think he has quite a sense of humor. I would always go by him and tickle his hand and kept saying his name and he would always just beam of joy. I knew he was getting to know me and was grateful for my love towards him. Every time I would pass him he would put him hand in the air. I kept asking people what he wanted but they said he just does that and not to worry. I knew he was trying to communicate to me and I knew he wanted me to do something for him. I finally noticed he was pointing in the air to the outside so I picked him up and carried him outside in the sun. He was very happy and I knew this was what he wanted. He was desiring to go outside and feel the warm sun on his face and play like a normal kid. I held his small deformed body in my arms for a while and even though he was fragile and he was heavy, I felt him nuzzle his face on my body so I was sure he was content. We then put him in a car and rode him around the courtyard making loud car noises and getting him laughing and smiling a ton. He kept pointing somewhere else and although it was challenging I just wanted to find out his needs so I could make him happy. I figured out that he was pointing to a large swing that was made for just for kids in wheel chairs so he could swing back and forth. We put him on it and I have truly never seen a happier child. This moment alone was well worth my trip to Guatemala. To put that kind of joy into a special needs kids life and to show him unconditional love was more fulfilling than anything I have done. Before I left that day I made sure I stopped by his bed and looked into his eyes and promised to see him tomorrow. He looked a little sad but I know that I will be able to bring that same bright smile on his face sometime this week when I return. I will make sure of it. Until then....CHAO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment