About Me

My photo
I am studying Psychology and Sociology at Utah Valley University, and working at a treatment center for troubled teens. I love life, being with people from all cultures, speaking Spanish, and traveling all over the world. I will never stop laughing, dancing, singing, enjoying, appreciating, and just being.

Monday, October 25, 2010

First Day in Argentina

Mom and Family:

First, sorry this is so long! But it is necessary! Dad- thanks for all the music! You are awesome! Mom- thanks for the long amazing email !!! Everything sounds so perfect, and I am glad you are all happy. Tell Drew I seriously love him and that I am so stoked for him. Send me his email and I will write him before he goes. Will you write on the blog that people can now directly email me to this email address and it is probably the best way to communicate, so tell everyone! I will check into the mailing address and I am sure you can still use dearelder. I will let you know about that!

Hola familia y amigos!!! So I finally made it to Argentina and what a journey it has been! After leaving the MTC on Wednesday, we literally traveled for 2 straight days. It was intense. We went from SLC to Dallas, and then from Dallas to Buenos Aires (10 hour flight), and then we drove for 2 hours to another airport, and we were in that airport for about 4 hours, and then we flew to Cordoba and finally arrived! First of all it was crazy being in the real world again- like I am not even lying. I was so used to this protection and spiritual heaven in the MTC and it was weird to be around real people, and not have everyone be like you. SLC was fine because obviously everyone is Mormon and knows who we are, but when we were in the Dallas airport all the elders and myself were on a train, and all these people were looking at us funny and some people even laughed it was just GREAT! haha I just smile all the time. We need to represent our message by how we act talk even how we stand and our body language, so I just really made sure I was so happy and smiling, and talking to everyone. We talked to a guy on the plane and that was neat. I also got to talk to someone when I flew to Cordoba and it was just a way awesome experience and got me SO excited to contact and just talk to all people!

When we got into the area the mission pres, his wife, and the assistants were all awaiting us, and were SO nice and loving and we took pics and drove to the mission home. We chatted it up on the way and just being with them for like 2 seconds I knew I loved them. They are just so positive and funny and loving, and are just the best! So we got the mission home, which is super nice, and we had interviews and all that fun stuff. The president just told me I was put in the BEST area ever with the BEST sister so of course I was just super stoked and so happy!! We got to bond with office elders and hear about the mission and got a little training. It was late by this time so we all got fed my favorite- lomitos and fries and soda- and then the elders left to stay at a hotel for the night and I got to sleep in the glam mission home. After they all left I just bonded with the mission pres family and chatted about life and the mission and they are all SO great!! They already feel like family-they do so much for all us. I got to talk in Spanish because most the family doesn’t speak English so it was good practice, and right before bed I was talking to the wife- just me and her- and she was just so tender and she gave me good advice! I was like crying, just because I was so happy to be there and just felt so good about everything- it was good!

So the next day I woke up and showered (which was so needed haha after so much traveling) and then I studied forever, which of course was so good, and then in the afternoon all these people came to the church and we all met and had lunch-Empenadas so good- and then we were to get assigned to our new comps. Right when I saw all the sisters I was just so pumped. The mission pres said the sisters are SO awesome and such hard workers in the mission!!! I knew I would love everyone. Right when I saw my companion I just loved her. She is just so full of light and bright and happy and everyone loves her! She is short, with blue eyes blond hair from Utah. She is so happy and positive, which is great! We just clicked right away, and I knew that we were so inspired to be together and would do so well working together. So after all this we drove to the bus station and then went to our area.

So can I please just say I am blessed-truly-its not even fair...first of all I get the best companion ever and then I got assigned to the area that is the “candy capital” of Argentina, and everyone calls it Disneyland---DREAM COME TRUE! The town is SO small and cute and it always smells like candy, because our apt is right next to the factory. Our apartment is interesting...cute and small -haha and pink. The top floor, and a little poor....but good! Our shower is ridiculous- no door....just like a shower head by the toilet so water gets everywhere, but its great –whatevs… an adventure!!! Our neighbors are members so its super safe. The area right now has perfect weather so sunny and warm and breezy. It kind of looks like California, Mexico, Arizona mix...haha- random but its great. There are tons of cute small shops and colored houses….like I said-a dream come true area. And everyone is right these people do sing when they talk and I love it-its super pretty. Oh and we get to ride bikes!!! This is the only area in the whole mission that is allowed to ride bikes- so life is just really good.

So the first night after we dropped off my stuff we had a cita (appointment) haha perfect right? I asked what we were teaching and my comp said we are teaching her the third lesson- mostly and we are going to ask her to be baptized....WHAT. hahah -I was so nervous, but I knew that everything would be great, and I just needed to be strong, believe in myself, and have faith. We did some contacts on the way. The cita was awesome, and even though I could not understand too much and I didn’t say much.....the spirit was way strong, and I loved every second. My companion is such a good teacher!!! So my first day was good. These past few days have just been crazy busy….running around contacting, having appointments, lessons, lunches with members, and so much.

Every single person I have met here I LOVE!!! Like I just instantly click with all of them and love them. I just know that God loves every single one of the people I meet and I talk to and I know that he is preparing them. I always picture people dressed in white when we are teaching or with them, and I always feel their beautiful spirits and how they have so much potential in store for them in their lives.

So Sunday it rained, so not many people went to church. Apparently there is suppose to be like 200 members here, but like only 20 people go ☹ -its sad- but the members are golden and get so involved and help us out so much to get people active again…..its great. But I got to bear testimony in church and it was good. Me and my comp got Raul and Lucas to come to church, which was a miracle because they haven’t been going -they are 19 and 24….cute guys. They have quite the stories- well everyone does here- but it is way good that they are coming back to church!

Last night we went to choir, and let me tell you- it was honestly like the little choir in the movie “Errand of Angels.” When they have choir and there are like 3 people there- hahaha its crazy. It was me, my companion, these 2 investigators, and this family- like 7 people- no joke. But it was good- we are singing a way pretty song in church sometime soon. After choir we had a cita with the investigators that came to choir and they are great. They have been investigating forever, and they are just super young and dating and its hard- they know its true and both want to be baptized, but they are living together so its complicated...but the lesson last night went awesome. We also had a member with us to help talk to them and encourage them.

Its super hard since I have been out here, because I understand mostly everything people say, but I just can’t say much and it is all just so new. I am learning and getting comfortable with the ways, but its just challenging because I feel like I can’t do much. I don’t know the area or anyone really quite yet, and the language obviously will take time and I know I need to be patient. Patience is key and I am definitely working on that...but I don’t let my trials or discouragement hold me back from seeing miracles and feeling the spirit and participating in the work.

The lesson we gave last night was just SO powerful and the things my companion and the member were saying were SO INSPIRED and just what they both needed. The room was literally so full of light and joy and the spirit was touching each of our hearts personally. After we talked to them, we knelt in prayer and the guy- Mateos- said the prayer, and my companion said that after we all had the prayer to just keep our eyes closed and to be reverent and still, and listen for answers. I LOVE THAT. So many times we rush and pray and pray and pray and ask for things, but what we don’t do is WAIT. We don’t have that patience and that calmness to just listen. In order for us to be given direction from the heavens in our lives, we do not just need to pray a lot, but we need to be WILLING to be still. Just like it says in the scriptures- and hear the things that we need to hear, go the places we need to go, make the changes that will better our lives, and to truly feel and understand the spirit and clearly find the things for us. I was just overwhelmed and filled with so much love and light, and the spirit, that is was intense. Everyone knew too that I cannot understand much, but I truly heard every word of this beautiful lesson and I was so grateful for this spiritual experience and everyone just knew- we all just were on the same page and felt the same thing- it was GREAT.

So today was Pday! We went and bought groceries, and cleaned and went to San Fran!!! We took a bus and rode to this area to visit it and play soccer with the elders. It is the cutest place ever!! Its more of a city but with cobblestone streets and cute buildings. We had really good ice cream and played soccer at the church it was super fun! K I know everyone knows I don’t do sports- hahah- so when I say I played I mostly just rolled up my sleeves and hoped to catch some color outside, because I am so pale!!! Shoot!

OK -Well family and friends- know that I am SO happy and just loving every minute of every day of my mission. I literally have been feeling the influence of all your prayers in my life, so thank you SO much!! Your prayers for me strengthen me and give me the courage to be bold, happy, and work hard! Everything that has happened and I have experienced has been such a blessing! I feel so truly lucky. There is no where else I would rather be. The mission is AWESOME. Know that I am safe, working hard, seeing miracles, loving the people and culture, and inviting others to come unto Christ.

Chao!!!

Hermana Pond

No comments:

Post a Comment